Welcome to the Oxnard College Counseling Department!
We provide essential support to our diverse student population by offering an array of counseling services, Personal Growth courses along with events and workshops.
It is our aim to provide individual and group counseling sessions in which students feel free to discuss educational plans, career interests, and personal concerns, as part of the process of making meaningful life decisions.
The Oxnard College Counseling Team hopes to see you soon!
IMPORTANT: Counseling will be closed on Thursday, May 9 from 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm; closed for Commencement on Thursday, May 16 and all campus is closed on Monday, May 27 for Memorial Day
Hours of Operation
|Days of Week||Hours|
|Monday||8am - 5pm|
|Tuesday||8am - 5pm|
|Wednesday||10am - 7pm|
|Thursday||8am - 5pm|
Student Services Building, 2nd Floor
How to Meet with a Counselor
Prior to meeting with a counselor all new and returning students must first complete the following steps:
- Apply to Oxnard College
- Complete an Orientation
- Prepare for English & math placement recommendations by the following:
- High school transcripts (student needs to bring any version of their high school transcript to meet with a counselor for a recommendation).
- Prior coursework at Oxnard College or any other college (students should bring transcripts for schools outside of VCCCD).
- Informed self-placement (for students that do not have access to transcripts can complete an informed self-placement).
- For English: Students can meet with a counselor or in the assessment lab for assistance.
- For math: Students can complete the online informed self-placement online from the Math department website
Once all of these steps are complete you are then eligible to meet with an academic counselor in one of the following ways:
- In-Person - Seeing a counselor at OC is typically available on a walk-in and first come first serve basis. Appointments are available to Veteran's and Student Athletes. The Counseling Department does offer limited appointments during non-peak times. Registration and the beginning of new semesters are times included in the peak window.
- Online Counseling - Students who are distance learners or are not local and not able to come to OC in person may utilize our virtual counseling services.
- Phone - You may call the OC Counseling Department at (805) 678-5816
If you have questions about your major for a certificate, graduation and/or transfer to a four-year college or university, you are welcome to see any counselor.
Information on A.A. or A.S. degrees and transfer requirements are listed in the Oxnard College catalog or can be obtained from counselors. If you are undecided about a college major, the counseling faculty can assist you in exploring and formulating your educational and career goals. You can sign up for one of several career and life planning courses or personal growth classes, and you can see a counselor for help in making a decision.
Oxnard College counselors are trained professionals available to help you with personal concerns. Counselor-counselee interaction leads to exploration of immediate alternatives or options that will assist in decision making. If further assistance is necessary, counselors can provide referral service to experts in personal and social problems.
A career is much more than just a job; it is a way of life. It is the way most people will spend one-third of their lives. Recent research indicates that most people average five career and ten job changes in their lifetime. Our counselors can help you develop lifelong skills that will serve you in making present and future career decisions.
Counselors assist you early in your academic program to relate aptitudes, experience, attitudes, and resources in developing your career goals and alternatives through individual and group counseling, workshops, seminars, academic classes, and other career information programs. They can also guide you in learning about clusters of occupations and employment data, position requirements and related information, and provide information on and interpretation of the labor market.
Career and Personal Assessment
Any Oxnard College student can receive a customized plan for personal and career development. An assessment service is available simply by making an appointment with the Career or Counseling Center.
By using the services of these centers you can learn about your abilities and talents, and how they affect your future.