Oxnard College students,
With the majority of Oxnard College’s classes now being offered online, here are some of the services and resources available to help you succeed. If you are struggling with technology, mental health, finances, online classes, food, or anything else, please review this page to learn about the help you can access. If you don't see your questions answered, contact us here or call our bilingual Welcome Center staff at (805) 678-5907.
Dado que la mayoría de las clases de Oxnard College ahora se ofrecen por internet, aquí están algunos de los servicios y recursos disponibles para ayudarte a tener éxito. Si tienes problemas con la tecnología, la salud mental, finanzas, clases en línea, comida o cualquier otra cosa, revisa esta página para obtener información sobre la ayuda a la que puedes acceder. Si no ves respuestas a tus preguntas, contáctanos aquí o llama a nuestro personal bilingüe del Centro de Bienvenida al (805) 678-5907.
Student services contact information:
- Welcome Center: 805-678-5907, email@example.com
- Our Welcome Center is here to answer all your questions about Oxnard College. This office guides you on a step-by-step process of how to apply for college and can refer you to any campus resources.
- General counseling: (805) 678-5816
- Helps students plan their educational plans, career interests, and personal concerns.
- Student Health Center: 805-678-5832, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provides students with remote telehealth counseling and services for physical and mental health concerns. Call 911 if experiencing an emergency.
- Financial Aid Office: 805-678-5828, email@example.com
- Offers financial resources to help students with the cost of college.
- Library Resource Center/Tutoring: 805-678-5819, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Offers many services including a loan program for textbooks, laptops, and calculators. Also provides tutoring services and limited computer lab access for OC students.
- Student Activities Center (Associated Student Government): 805-678-5187
- Provides students opportunities to share in college governance, interact with professionals, and participate in social and cultural activities.
- Basic Needs: 805-678-5187
- Provides students with a gateway to a wide range of resources including snacks, food pantry, and housing referrals.
- Admissions and Records Office: 805-678-5810, email@example.com
- Oversees admissions, registration, and all student records. Offers convenient access to registration, grades, classes, the Oxnard College catalog, and financial aid information.
- Educational Assistance Center (EAC): 805-678-5830, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Supports students with verified disabilities by determining and providing reasonable accommodations, auxiliary aids, and support services.
- CalWORKs: 805-678-5887, email@example.com
- Provides educational resources and support to student-parents.
- Extended Opportunity Programs & Services (EOPS): 805-678-5827, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provides academic and financial support to students whose educational and socioeconomic backgrounds may prevent them from successfully attending college.
- First Year Experience (FYE) Center: 805-678-5952, email@example.com
- Provides resources, networking, and mentorship to first-time students at Oxnard College.
- First Step Center: 805-678-5907
- A one-stop resource where students can get help with picking a major, degree options, and support with registering for classes.
- Veterans Resource Center: 805-678-5845, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provides services and networking opportunities to veterans, active duty service members, and reservists.
- Dream Resource Center: 805-678-5295, email@example.com
- Provides a safe space and resources for Dreamers or undocumented students. Proporciona un espacio y recursos seguros para los estudiantes indocumentados o Dreamers.
- Campus Bookstore: 805-986-5826
- Provides textbooks, school supplies, snacks, and OC gear.
- General information: 805-678-5800
- Provides directory information.
- Career Center: 805-652-7779, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helps students with career exploration, internship opportunities, and workshops on everything from resume building to interview coaching, and more.
- Transfer Center: 805-678-5035, email@example.com
- Provides workshops and direct assistance to help students establish their plans for college transfer.
- OC STEM: 805-678-5262, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provides tutoring and additional support to students seeking careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
- Oxnard College Foundation: email@example.com
- Provides scholarship opportunities and laptop grants for OC students.
Mental & physical health:
If you have questions about your physical health or have been feeling down or anxious, you can call our Student Health Center at 805-678-5832, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit them online. They are available to help with your physical and mental health needs. However, if you are having a medical or mental health emergency, please call 911. Additionally, if you have been exposed to COVID 19 and have questions about health services in the community, please contact our office. Here are some additional mental health resources:
- Ventura County Behavioral Health Crisis Team: 866-998-2243
- Didi Hirsch 24-hour Suicide Hotline: 877-727-4747
- USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work Tele-Mental Health
- Text "Courage" to 741741 for FREE 24/7 for mental health support.
Financial Aid opportunities exist to help students with everything from purchasing laptops to covering the cost of tuition and even helping if you’ve lost income due to COVID19. We also have a limited number of OC Emergency Grants to help. Contact our Financial Aid office to learn what resources you qualify for at 805-678-5828 or email@example.com.
Here are some external resources for getting financial support:
- I Can Afford College
- Filing an unemployment claim with the State of California
- COVID-19 Parent Application for Financial Assistance for Emergency Child Care
Need help navigating your online classes? Be sure to enroll in our canvas orientation. Additionally, here are some great resources from our State Chancellor’s office explaining Canvas, and some more info about online classes from OC as well. Be sure to check out this great article on how to be an engaged online student as well.
Food and housing insecurity:
Contact 805-678-5187 to speak with a representative of our Basic Needs Center for updates on food distribution and referral to community food pantries. If someone does not answer, please leave a message with your contact information and we’ll get back to you soon.
Food Share Ventura County is a great local resource, providing groceries to local families in need. Students can also apply for money to cover monthly groceries through CalFresh.
If you’re experiencing housing insecurity, look through these resources provided through the City of Oxnard.
From 7am – 7pm, Monday through Saturday, Oxnard College students can access our WiFi from parking lots A and B, near the clocktower on the Oxnard College campus. Please remember that social distancing is crucial, so please stay in your vehicle while accessing our network so that we can continue to provide this service.
Additionally, several companies throughout California are offering free or low-cost internet access to students during the COVID-19 pandemic:
AT&T is providing unlimited data to home internet customers through June 30. Additionally, limited income households may continue to take advantage of $10 per month internet access via the Access from AT&T program.
California Community Colleges students are eligible for this eligible for this mobile hotspot service powered by Sprint, which offers nationwide 4G LTE connectivity and allows users to connect up to 10 WiFi enabled devices for up to 10 hours on a single charge for only $19.99 a month.
Charter is offering free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi accessfor 60 days to households college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Additionally, all WiFi hotspots are now free of charge.
Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, Comcast is offering two months of free to Internet service through the Internet Essentials program. This offer is available to new and existing customers.
T-Mobile is increasing the data allowance for free to schools and students using its EmpowerED digital learning program to ensure each participant has access to at least 20GB of data per month through June 30, 2020.
Sprint is providing unlimited data for 60 days to customers with metered data plans and giving 20 GB of free mobile hotspot to customers with hotspot-capable devices.
Verizon is waiving late fees and suspending service termination for customers negatively impacted by the global crisis.
OC students have access to materials and equipment from the library including laptops, textbooks, books or calculators. OC students can request to borrow these materials/equipment here. Another option for first-time students is to borrow a laptop through our First Year Experience program - learn more here. The Oxnard College Foundation is also helping students purchase a Dell laptop. Finally, we also have a limited number of OC Emergency Grants to help with your needs.
Students who cannot otherwise access a computer, may use desktops in our Library’s computer lab (room LLR-101). This space is limited to a maximum of 10 persons.
Oxnard College students and educators can also sign up for Microsoft Office 365 for free. This package includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, and more. Make sure you’re logged into your MyVCCCD portal and visit this link to begin downloading.
Tutoring & Testing:
Tutoring is available through Zoom. Click here to learn more.
If you struggle with a visible or invisible disability, reach out to our Educational Assistance Center (EAC) - they will work with you and your professors to accommodate your needs. Invisible injuries might include hearing impairments, autism, learning disabilities, and mental health or intellectual challenges, among others. Please contact the EAC at 805-678-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also access audiobooks and alternative media through the EAC by contacting John Elmer at email@example.com or by phone at 805 678-5117.
Need help researching documents for a project? Our librarian services are available to help. You can contact them at 805-678-5820, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, or visit them online.
While Oxnard College does not have any on-site unemployment or disability benefit services, there are several external resources you should look into. For the fastest service regarding disability benefits, access your claim information or file a claim online through State Disability Insurance (SDI). You can also contact Employment Development Department (EDD) representatives at 1-800-480-3287 for Disability Insurance or 1-877-238-4373 for Paid Family Leave, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Unemployment Insurance is an employer-funded program that provides partial income replacement when you become unemployed or have your work hours reduced and meet all eligibility requirements. This California website will help guide you through the claim filing process.
The California Community College system has an extremely thorough list of resources and FAQs for community college students throughout the state. This site includes everything from financial aid resources to information on options for affordable food and helpful tips on how to succeed online. Their site is available in English and Spanish. They also have a similar webpage for staff.
If you’d like more information on what’s happening with COVID-19 here in Ventura County, check out the Ventura County Public Health office. Additionally, there’s more information on OC’s response to COVID-19 on our Oxnard College Alerts page.
Finally, if you’re new at Oxnard College, check out this YouTube channel with helpful videos about how our programs and services can help you.
If you don’t see your questions answered above, please contact us here or call our Welcome Center at (805) 678-5907.