G.I. Bill®

 Attention current students using GI Bill® benefits: 

The COVID-19 pandemic required the college to switch to online instruction with the exception of a few courses. New legislation allows VA to pay education benefits regardless of the fact that a course has been converted from resident training to online training. GI Bill students will continue to receive housing allowance payments at the resident training until 12/21/21, or until the school resumes normal operations of resident training, for programs converted solely to online training. This means if a college converts from an approved residence training course to online training for that course (distance learning) due to COVID-19, benefits will not change. To view the list of classes that had a change of modality and will be certified as resident courses, click on the link below.

The Oxnard College VET Center can be reached at 805-678-5845.

Due to current public health concerns, and in the best interest of our students, the Admissions and Records Office will only be offering services via phone, email, and online methods until further notice. Please note that our office will not be open to the public and we will serve all student needs through phone, online or email methods. Our remote hours of operation are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and Friday - 8:00 am to Noon. 

All certification paperwork for the Summer can be submitted electronically to the Admissions and Records Office by clicking on the Secure Form Submission button below. Please submit your documents as one single PDF document. 

The Admissions and Records Office offers assistance and information to Veterans and eligible dependents regarding VA Educational Benefits. The Veterans Benefit Specialists/Certifying Officials are located in the Student Services Building in the Admissions and Records Office.

For information regarding eligibility, application for benefits, enrollment verifications, and frequently asked questions, please visit the Dept of Veteran's Affair website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill or call 1-888-442-4551.

The Veterans Benefit Specialists/Certifying Officials are available to see Veterans and eligible dependents using their educational benefits Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and Friday - 8:00 am to Noon. If you have questions regarding your benefits, please contact either one of the certifying officials for assistance. We have two certifying officials that you can contact based on your last name.

Veterans Benefits/Certifying Officials Veteran's Last Name Phone Number
Tonia Arias A - N (805) 678-5844 or (805) 678-5810
Emily Cortez M - Z (805) 678-5259 or (805) 678-5810

Veterans and eligible dependents must complete the steps outlined below to start using their G.I. Bill®. Please download the VA Packet.

All new and returning students must complete assessment, orientation and an educational plan in order to be eligible for priority registration.

Step 1. Apply for Admission

  • Returning Students - You must re-apply for admission if you have not attended in over a year
  • Follow instructions to create an OpenCCC account and submit your application
  • Provide a valid email address & allow 24 hours to process your application and receive your new student email confirmation

Step 2. Apply for Financial Aid

Step 3. Set up your MyVCCCD account

  • You will receive an email from Oxnard College with instructions on how to setup your MyVCCCD portal. ***Please note the link expires in 20 days.
  • Regularly check your MyVCCCD email or activate mail forwarding option under MyACCOUNT settings in MyVCCCD
  • Write down your Student ID number for your records

Step 4. Apply for VA Education Benefits online at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

  • If you are eligible for another benefit program as well as the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), you should review the side-by-side comparison of benefits under each program.
  • If you have any questions regarding VA Benefits, contact VA at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
  • VA Office hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm (Central Time).

The GI Bill® Comparison Tool is live at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/comparison.

Step 5. Submit official transcripts from prior institutions

  • Transcripts must be submitted in a sealed envelope by the end of the second semester of enrollment.
  • Submit military transcripts (JST, CCAF, and CGI).
  • Unofficial transcripts can be used for the initial counseling appointment.
  • To comply with VA regulations, official transcripts must be submitted within two semesters of beginning GI Bill® benefits.
  • Mail transcripts to:
    • Oxnard College
      Attn: Admissions and Records Office
      4000 South Rose Ave
      Oxnard, CA 93033

Step 6. Complete the English & Math Assessments

  • Counselors will assist students in placement in appropriate English and Math courses. Placement guidance is primarily by high school performance (grade point average and courses taken). 
  • Students who graduated more than 10 years ago, students who have foreign transcripts, students that do not have access to their high school transcripts and/or students who left high school without graduating will use an Informed Self-Placement tool to choose the course(s) most suitable for them.
  • The VET Center can be reached at 805-678-5845.

Step 7. Complete New Student Orientation Online at MyVCCCD

  • Log on to MyVCCCD and click on the MySUCCESS tab to complete the online orientation

Step 8. Make an appointment with an Academic Counselor

  • Download VA Packet
  • Call the OC VET Center at 805-678-5845 to set up an appointment with an academic counselor. Please bring transcripts and/or DD214 or any other discharge documents.
  • You must meet with an Academic Counselor so that an Educational Plan can be prepared.
  • You must see the Academic Counselor every semester for course approval for VA payments.

Step 9.  Register & Pay online at: MyVCCCD

STEP 10. Submit all paperwork to the Veterans Certifying Official in the Admissions and Records Office

  • All documents must be submitted directly to the Veterans Certifying Official:
    • Certificate of eligibility letter (COE) and DD214 and/or any other discharge forms
    • Veteran's Ed Plan from an academic counselor.
    • Veteran's Packet