EMT Frequently Asked Questions


Q.        Is a CPR card a prerequisite for the EMT course?

A.        YES, you must have a current CPR card from either the American Heart Association or American Red Cross (Cards from Training Solutions, EZ CPR, or any online program will NOT be accepted). Many instructors will tell you their class meets Oxnard College guidelines. If it is not one of the classes below, it will not meet our guidelines. If in doubt, call or email a public safety faculty member.

  • Red Cross - "Basic Life Support (BLS) for the Healthcare Provider" or
  • American Heart Association - "Healthcare Provider" BLS

Q.        What is the minimum age to attend class?

A.        Due to the clinical site partner’s contractual requirements, you MUST be 18 years old by the start of the class. There are no exceptions.

Q.        Is there a required health exam and drug test for the EMT course?

A.        The clinical sites require you to have a health exam including an immunization check and urine drug and alcohol test prior to going into the clinical areas. This is a cost to you and can be obtained at Oxnard College Student Health Center or through your private physician or clinic. Appointments are required and the sooner you make an appointment the better. Your paperwork must be filled in before your appointment. If you choose to go to your private physician, once you have completed all requirements on the paperwork, you must call the Oxnard College Health Center for and appointment to review your completed paperwork. NO WALK-INS. If you are missing any requirements your paperwork will not be signed off to turn in to your EMT instructor. The health exam form must be completed and all test results given to the instructor prior to the 6th week of class. You will not be allowed to take the midterm and you will be dropped from the class if this requirement is not met.

Q.       Why is a background check required for class?

A.         Clinical sites are requiring all students who come to their facilities to have a criminal background check completed. You will need to go to the website to complete the background check. NOTE: If you do not pass the background check you will not be able to go into the hospitals for clinical experience. You will not be able to get a course completion record, which is needed to become an EMT.

The back ground check will consist of the following:

  • SS number verification
  • Criminal Search (7 years)
  • Violent Sexual Offender and Predator Registry Search
  • HHS/OIG List of Excluded Individuals/Entities
  • GSA List of Parties Excluded from Federal Programs

Q.        Can the EMT R169 course be repeated?

A.        Per State Law and the Oxnard College catalog. "Students are permitted a total of 3 attempts to achieve a standard grade. (A, B, C, P, or CR). This rule applies to courses taken at any regionally accredited college in which the student received a substandard grade. Withdrawals may not exceed 3 times in the same class. If a 4th attempt is authorized must reflect a grade other than W. Petitions for Course Repetition are available in the counseling office. The EMT refresher course is mandated by CA law to maintain your EMT license. Therefore you may repeat the refresher course every 2 years. You may also repeat the entire course if you previously passed the course but did not obtain your NREMT certification within 2 years.

Q.        Does and EMT student have to obtain a student ID card?

A.        Yes. The clinical sites require you to have a picture ID for your clinicals and ambulance ride a-longs. The Condor student ID card is the official photo identification for all Oxnard College EMT students and must be worn during your clinical visits and carried with you to obtain OC additional benefits.

Q.        Is the EMT R169 course required to apply for the OC Fire Academy?

A.        EMT certification and successful completion of FT R151 are prerequisites to apply to the OC Fire Academy. Check the OC Fire Academy website for additional information.

Q.        How does and EMT student obtain an EMT license?

A.        1. A student must successfully pass the EMT R169 course with a B or better.

            2. Successfully pass the NREMT skills exam

            3. Successfully pass the NREMT written exam

           4.  Apply for their license at the local Emergency Medical Service Agency