To enter the Firefighter I program, an application process is utilized to select the student participants. All applications go through a rigorous screening process which includes work history, education history, application requirements, references and prerequisites completion. On average, we receive 100 applications for 40 seats.
The following courses/requirements are prerequisites: completion required prior to application.
- Emergency Medical Technician - Certified (National Registry or State/Local EMSAC Card) NO EXCEPTIONS - MUST BE A CERTIFIED EMT AT TIME OF APPLICATION.
- FT R151 - Fire Protection Organization - Successful completion (C or better) (Academic Policies) MUST BE COMPLETED AT TIME OF APPLICATION.
If you are interested in applying for and receiving an Oxnard College Certificate of Achievement (29 units) for the Fire Academy you must have completed the following:
- EMT R169 or equivalent- 8 units
- FT R151 or equivalent-3 units
- FT R170 OC Fire Academy 18 units
The following classes are listed as advisories in the Oxnard College Catalog:
- FT R152 - Fire Prevention Technology
- FT R154 - Fire Behavior and Combustion
- FT R161 - Building Construction
The Academy will be geared to a level that builds on the skills and knowledge learned in these classes
- The Oxnard College Fire Academy is a Monday - Thursday class that begins on the first day of the semester at 0700 and ends at 1700. This is a 16 week class that graduates in December (fall semester) and April/May (spring semester)
Admission to the fire academy is very competitive. It is open to all students. However, due to the large number of people who wish to enroll, a point systems, has been established. You will also be required to be a Nationally Registered and/or State/Local certified EMT and obtain a physical exam/physician clearance. Your placement in the Academy will be determined upon review of your application, support documents and score. All support documents must be in your application package for you to be considered for the Academy. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The point system is as follows: Courses require successful completion - Grade "C" or better.
|Licsensed EMT-P||Work Exp Emer Resp||
Community College Wildland Academy Completion
|AA/AS/AAS non FTech||FT 152, FT 154, FT 155, FT 157, FT 158, FT 160, FT 161, FT 167||AA/AS/AAS FTech||BA/BS|
|1 point||1 point per yr||2 points||3 points||1 point for each FT course with a max of 8 points (excludes FT 151 and EMT)||10 points||5 pts|
|You may NOT count 10 points for 2 year degree AND points for course completion.|
Fall 2019 Application dates: March 1-29, 2019 Fall 2019 Application NO APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED OUTSIDE OF THE APPLICATION WINDOW. Also, please note. The lung function test/spirometry is required so you may be fit tested for a SCBA mask. Please inform your physician or occupational therapist why it is required. You are required to provide proof in writing (signed statement by a physician or occupational therapist) that you are cleared to wear a self-contained breathing apparatus along with your test results. Application will not be accepted without this signed statement which is in addition to your signed medical form.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. You must provide unofficial transcripts, your EMT certification, official form of ID (DL or Passport) and other required documents. If your transcripts do not state that a degree was conferred and the date it was conferred you will not receive points on your application.