Spring 2021 Fire Academy Application Period is now Closed
The application period was from Sept. 1 - Sept. 30, 2020
To enter the Fall 2021 Firefighter I & II Academy, a new application process has been developed and will be approved to be used during Spring 2021 selection process. All applications will be screened for completeness, accuracy, in-progress reports, and other requested information. On average, we receive 100 applications for 40 seats.
The following proposed changes to the Fire Academy Selection Process are Pending Curriculum Approval.
The following must be completed prior to application.
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT)
The following courses/requirements are prerequisites: completion required prior to Fire Academy start date
- FT 151 - Fire Protection Organizations*
- FT 154 - Fire Behavior and Combustion*
- FT 158 - Firefighter Safety and Survival*
- FT 160 - Fire Strategy and Tactics*
- FT 167 - Fire Apparatus and Equipment*
The new selection process consists of the following:
- Applicants who have COMPLETED ALL their prerequisites at Oxnard College and are currently enrolled or graduated from OC will have first priority
- Applicants who have COMPLETED ALL their prerequisites at another institution and are not enrolled at OC will receive second priority
- Applicants whose courses (FT 151, 154, 158, 160, and/or 167) are IN PROGRESS at OC will be chosen 3rd
- Applicants whose courses (FT 151, 154, 158, 160, and/or 167) are IN PROGRESS outside OC will be chosen 4th
*Courses in progress must include Progress Report from your instructor with current grade.
If you are interested in applying for and receiving an Oxnard College Certificate of Achievement (29 units) for the Fire Academy you must have completed the following:
- EMT R169 or college equivalent- 8 units
- FT R151 or equivalent-3 units
- FT R170 OC Fire Academy 19 units
The Academy will be geared to a level that builds on the skills and knowledge learned in these classes
- The Oxnard College Fire Academy is a Monday - Thursday class that begins on the first day of the semester at 0700 and ends at 1700. The Fire Academy graduates in December (fall semester) and May (spring semester)
Admission to the fire academy is open to all students and very competitive.
Your Academy placement will be determined upon review of your application, supporting documents and overall score. All supporting documents must be in your application package to be considered. Incomplete applications will be set aside and ranked last.
Fire Academy Application window opens twice a year. In March for the Fall Academy and in September for the Spring Academy. Applications are generally made available to the public one month prior to the window opening.
Spring 2021 Application dates:
September 1, 2020 - September 30, 2021
Fire Academy Application period is now closed
NO APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED OUTSIDE OF THE APPLICATION WINDOW.
Also, please note, students will be required to go through a health, wellness, stamina, and strength screening which will be conducted by the college at a designated time and location. This will include a lung function test/spirometry is required so you may be fit tested for a SCBA mask.
Application will not be accepted without this signed statement which is in addition to your signed medical form.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. You must provide unofficial transcripts, your EMT certification, official form of ID (DL or Passport) and other required documents. If your transcripts do not state that a degree was conferred and the date it was conferred you will not receive points on your application. If transcripts are not provided for all courses taken, a rating will not be given. Please note, if you have taken classes at Oxnard College, Ventura College, or Moorpark College, you must submit your transcripts. We do not have access to student records and will only rate your application based on what is submitted.
***You may submit your application by mailing it or hand delivering it to the address below:
Oxnard College Public Safety
Attn. Matthew Jewett, Assistant Dean
104 Durley Ave
Camarillo, CA 93010
*If you decide to hand deliver your application, please practice social distancing guidelines and make sure to wear a face mask at all times. You will need to call 805-678-5157 and be screened before coming in the building. You may drop off your application Monday through Friday - 8:00am - 5:00pm.