Fall 2023 Fire Academy Application Period is now OPEN.
Fall Applications are accepted the month of March
Spring Applications are accepted the month of September
A new application process has been developed to enter the Firefighter I & II Academy, and it will take effect on the Fall 2023 Fire Academy Applications. All applications will be screened for completeness, accuracy, in-progress reports, and other requested information. On average, we receive 100 applications for 40 seats.
The following proposed changes to the Fire Academy Selection Process are Pending Curriculum Approval.
The following courses/requirements are prerequisites: successful completion required prior to Fire Academy start date
- EMT 169 - Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT written exam will no longer be required) *
- FT 151 - Fire Protection Organizations
- FT 154 - Fire Behavior and Combustion
* For applicants who have not taken the NREMT written, the "Course Completion Record" copy is required as proof of successful skills exam completion. The Completion Record must be valid through the application process up to the start of the academy For applicants who have taken the NREMT written and are certified, please submit a copy of your EMT certification card through the state of California or through NREMT . The card must be valid through the application process up to the start of the academy.
The new selection process consists of the following:
- BAND 1: Applicants who have COMPLETED ALL their prerequisites at Oxnard College will have first priority.
- BAND 2: Applicants who have COMPLETED ALL their prerequisites at another institution will receive second. priority
- BAND 3: Applicants whose courses (EMT169, FT 151 and FT 154) are IN PROGRESS at OC will be chosen 3rd.
- BAND 4: Applicants whose courses (EMT 169, FT 151 and FT 154) are IN PROGRESS another institution will be chosen 4th.
- BAND 5: Fall applicants who anticipate to take any of the prerequisites (FT 151 and FT 154) during the summer at Oxnard College will be chosen 5th.
*Courses in progress must include Progress Report from your instructor WITH current grade. Make sure to give them enough time to get you the Progress Report. These MUST be attached to your application upon submission.
If you are interested in applying for and receiving an Oxnard College Certificate of Achievement (31 units) for the Fire Academy you must have completed the following:
- EMT R169 or college equivalent- 8 units
- FT R151 or equivalent-3 units
- FT R170 OC Fire Academy 20 units
The Academy will be geared to a level that builds on the skills and knowledge learned in these classes
- The Oxnard College Fire Academy is a Monday - Thursday class that begins on the first day of the semester at 0700 and ends at 1700. The Fire Academy graduates in December (fall semester) and May (spring semester).
- Spring Academies do NOT take Spring Break
Admission to the fire academy is open to all students and very competitive.
Your Academy placement will be determined upon review of your application, supporting documents and overall score. All supporting documents must be in your application package to be considered. Incomplete applications will be set aside and ranked last.
Fire Academy Application window opens twice a year. In March for the Fall Academy and in September for the Spring Academy. Applications are generally made available to the public one month prior to the window opening.
Fall 2023 Application dates:
March 1, 2023 - March 30, 2023
NO APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED OUTSIDE OF THE APPLICATION WINDOW.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. You must provide unofficial transcripts, your EMT certification, official form of ID (DL or Passport) and other required documents. If your transcripts do not state that a degree was conferred and the date it was conferred you will not receive points on your application. If transcripts are not provided for all courses taken, an evaluation will not be given. Please note, if you have taken classes at Oxnard College, Ventura College, or Moorpark College, you must submit your transcripts. We do not have access to student records and will only evaluate your application based on what is submitted.
Please note, upon acceptance to the academy, students will be required to go through a health, wellness, stamina, and strength screening which will be conducted by the college at a designated time and location. This will include a lung function test/spirometry is required so you may be fit tested for a SCBA mask.
If cadets wish to have their screening done by their primary doctor, they will need to submit a signed statement in addition to your signed medical form.
***You may submit your application by mailing it or hand delivering it to the address below:
Oxnard College Public Safety
Attn. Samantha Agreda, Administrative Assistant
104 Durley Ave
Camarillo, CA 93010
You may also email the complete application to email@example.com