OC Teacher Pathway:
Cultivating Future Teachers!
OC STEM helps all future teachers:
- Get their start (online),
- Transfer to university with a credential program in mind, and
- Guidance to complete the 45 hours of observation needed for a credential program.
OC STEM works closely with informal educators and OC students to connect them to an education career path. This may include supplemental authorizations in math and science.
Shortages and Layoffs:
- USA Today poll conducted the end of May 2020, one in five teachers said they are unlikely to return if schools open in the fall, including one in four teachers over the age of 55.
- According to the Economic Policy Institute, more K-12 public education jobs were lost this past April than in all of the Great Recession.
- Credentialed enrollments were already much lower than needed in shortage fields; which bodes poorly for addressing those critically needed positions with fully trained candidates.