The Art program at Oxnard College offers many courses listed in the college catalog in the areas of Studio Art. Studies in the Fine Arts include beginning and intermediate levels of drawing, life drawing, painting, two-dimensional design, color theory, sculpture and digital photography. The Art program serves students seeking to transfer or to work toward an associate of art degree. The primary mission of our program is to prepare students for transfer to a four-year college, university or art school and/or to earn an Associate of Arts degree. Students from the Art program have been awarded scholarships and transfer to prominent art programs including Otis College of Art and Design, Chicago Art Institute, UCLA, UC Berkeley, CSU-Long Beach, and CSU-Channel Islands among other institutions.
Oxnard College's McNish Art Gallery is an integral part of instruction. It features exhibitions during the fall and spring semesters which reflect professional work representing courses taught in the program. These include group and solo shows, a guest-curated show, and a juried student art show. The gallery program supports the educational mission of Oxnard College through its educational program and formal exhibition of contemporary works of art. The gallery also serves the art history, studio arts, and liberal arts programs by providing an opportunity for learning about art.
The Oxnard College Art Department faculty is comprised of professional artists who balance an active studio practice in the midst of teaching, artists who are curators, have been published and who have exhibited nationally and internationally including Christine Morla, Ichiro Irie, Kindah Brennan, Ian Pines, and Art Historian Dr. Rainer Mack. The community of Art values the contributions of our recently retired faculty members, Vince Flocco, James Jarvaise, Jackie Cavish and Peggy Tranovich, as well as past contributing faculty members, Roger Lee and Monica Furmanski.
Careers this program or course of study lead to:
- Advertising (Art Director, Copywriter, Layout Artist)
- Animation (Storyboard, Cartooning)
- Architecture (Architect, Architectural Graphic Designer, Landscape Architect)
- Art Therapy
- Fashion (Fashion Designer, Fashion Illustrator, Fabric Designer)
- Graphic Design (Graphic Designer, Promotion Designer, Letterer, Record Cover Designer, Medical Illustrator, Mural Designers)
- Industrial Design (Product Designer, Toy Designer, Furniture Designer, Interior Designer)
- Museum (Curator, Education)
- Photography (Advertising Photographer, Fashion Photographer, News Photographer)
- Publication Design (Editorial Art Director, Book Designer)
- Teaching (High School Instructor, College/University Professor)
Department Chair: Amy Edwards
Studio Arts Lead: Christine Morla
Art History and Appreciation Lead: Rainer Mack