AdministrationDr. Christina Tafoya, Dean of Career & Technical Education
Gail Warner, Assistant Dean, Fire Technology
Full Time Faculty
Robert Morris, EMT-P
Part Time Faculty
Karen Beatty, RN
Brad Ditto, RN
Stephanie Huhn, RN
Luiz Manzano, EMT-P
Mark Petersen, EMT-PDana Sullivan, EMT-P
Prerequisites for the EMT Program: CPR Certification; American Heart Association (AHA) "Healthcare Provider" or Red Cross "Professional Rescuer'. Online courses and other CPR courses are not accepted.
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (EMT) – BASIC
The Oxnard College EMT program is affiliated with the Fire Technology program. Successful completion of the EMT course is a requirement for the Oxnard College Fire Technology Degree, and EMT certification is a requirement to apply to the Oxnard College Fire Academy. These classes are held at the Ventura County Training Center which is located near the Camarillo Airport in the proximity of the Pleasant Valley and Las Posas Roads intersection. For complete program information, be sure to visit our Fire Technology homepage in this website.
The Fire Technology program offers an 8-unit EMT course (10 hours lecture/lab weekly), and 1.5 unit EMT refresher courses for students seeking recertification.
EMT R169 This course prepares students with the skills necessary to provide emergency medical care with an ambulance service or other specialized service at the Basic Life Support (BLS) level. This course is approved by the Ventura County Emergency Medical Services Agency and the California State Department of Emergency Services. Upon successful completion of the course and skills testing (not included in the course) and the NREMT certifying examination the student will be eligible for EMT-B National Registry Certification . A non-credit 24 hour clinical component is required in addition to the classroom time. Materials fee is required. Field trips may be required.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon completion of the EMT course students will be able to:
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of the EMT
- Provide proper patient care based on assessment of a medical or trauma patient
- Know basic human anatomy and physiology needed to perform a patient assessment
- Recognize a patient in cardiac arrest and be able to perform CPR using an AED
- Perform various methods of lifting and moving patients
- Identify and manage OB-GYN emergencies
- Analyze musculoskeletal injuries, control bleeding, splint fractures and treat for shock
- Triage and transport patients on major disasters and other hazardous emergencies
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRAINING/RECERTIFICATION
EMT R069 The refresher EMT recertification course provides students with knowledge regarding updated practices and emerging technology in the EMT field and in areas of emergency pre-hospital care. EMT and CPR must be current.
For additional questions regarding reciprocity, recertification, Ventura Co requirements, etc.
- Once you are NREMT certified you are strongly encouraged to apply for your California EMT certification through your county agency.