Area Dean: Ken Sherwood, M.A.
Department Chair: Amy F. Edwards, M.A.
Phone: (805)986-5800, ext. 1943
Take a look at the Art Department's blog!
The Fine Arts department offers many courses listed in the college catalog in the areas of Studio Art. Studies in the Fine Arts include beginning and intermediate levels of drawing, life drawing, painting, two-dimensional design, color theory, sculpture and digital photography. The Fine Arts program serves students seeking to transfer or to work towards an associate of art degree. The primary mission of our program is to prepare students for transfer to a four-year college, university or art school and/or to earn an Associate of Arts degree. Students from the Fine Arts department have been awarded scholarships and transfer to prominent art programs including Otis College of Art and Design, Chicago Art Institute, UCLA, UC Berkeley, CSU-Long Beach, and CSU-Channel Islands among other institutions.
Oxnard College's McNish Art Gallery is an integral part of instruction. It features five exhibitions during the fall and spring semesters, which reflect professional work representing courses taught in the program. These include group and solo shows, a guest-curated show, and a juried student art show. The gallery program supports the educational mission of Oxnard College through its educational program and formal exhibition of contemporary works of art. The gallery also serves the art history, studio arts, and liberal arts program by providing an opportunity for learning about art.
The Oxnard College faculty is comprised of professional artists who balance an active studio practice in the midst of teaching, artists who are curators, have been published and who have exhibited nationally and internationally including Christine Morla, Lucy HG Solomon, Ichiro Irie, Kindah Brennan, and Rainer Mack. The community of Art values the contributions of our recently retired faculty members, Jackie Cavish and Peggy Tranovich, as well as past contributing faculty members, Roger Lee and Monica Furmanski.
Careers this program or course of study lead to:
- Advertising (Art Director, Copyrwriter, Layout Artist)
- Animation (Storyboard, Cartooning)
- Architecture (Architect, Architectural Graphic Designer, Landscape Architect)
- Art Therapy
- Fashion (Fashion Designer, Fashion Illustrator, Fabric Designer)
- Graphic Design (Graphic Designer, Promotion Designer, Letterer, Record Cover Designer, Medical Illustrator, Mural Designers)
- Industrial Design (Product Designer, Toy Designer, Furniture Designer, Interior Designer)
- Museum (Curator, Education)
- Photography (Advertising Photographer, Fashion Photographer, News Photographer)
- Publication Design (Editorial Art Director, Book Designer)
- Teaching (High School Instructor, College/University Professor)
- Fine Art
Christine Morla, M.F.A. ext 1929
Lucy Solomon, M.F.A. ext 2047