2013 - 2014 IRS Data Retrieval Tool
What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows FAFSA on the Web applicants to request and retrieve their income and tax data from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Once the data is retrieved from the IRS, it can be transferred to FAFSA on the Web (FOTW).
Why is it important for me to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
Beginning with the 2013-14 academic year, Federal Tax Returns will no longer be considered a valid form of documentation to verify income.
The fastest, easiest and most secure method to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that is part of FOTW. If you choose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, expect delays in completing the verification process.
When can I use it?
You may use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool two weeks after you and/or your parents have electronically filed taxes or eight weeks after you and/or your parents have filed taxes by mail.
How do I use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
Instructions for IRS Data Retrieval on your FAFSA
- Log into www.fafsa.gov.
- Click on “Make FAFSA Corrections.”
- Click on “Financial Information” tab.
- Correct “Will File” to “Already Completed.”
- If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, click Link to IRS and OK.
- On the IRS Web site (www.IRS.gov.) enter the requested information and click Submit..
- Click on the box under the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” and then click Transfer Now.
- You should receive the message “You have successfully transferred your 2012 tax information.”
- Complete all steps and electronically sign (dependent students must have PIN for themselves as well as for a parent) and Submit your FAFSA.
- Your FAFSA is successfully submitted once you have received a confirmation number.
How can we help you?
If you need further assistance, FAFSA workshops are scheduled every Wednesday from 3 to 4:15 p.m. in the Oxnard College Student Services Builiding
Who can't use it?
You and/or your parent may not be eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2012 IRS income tax information in the following situations:
- Married and filing separately or married and filed the tax return either as head of household
- Filed an amended return
- Filing a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return
- Had a recent change in marital status
If you and/or your parent are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in FAFSA on the Web, you will need to provide a 2012 IRS tax return transcript. Tax return copies are not acceptable.
Instructions to obtain an IRS tax return transcript:
- Go www.IRS.gov and click on the “Order a Return or Account Transcript” link, or call 1 (800) 908-9946.
- Be sure to request the IRS Tax Return Transcript and not the IRS tax account transcript.
- You will need your/your parent Social Security number, date of birth, and the address on file with the IRS .
- It takes up to two weeks after you and/or your parents have electronically filed taxes or eight weeks after you and/or your parents have filed taxes by mail.