The Planning and Budgeting Council (PBC) was created to serve as the main entity for shared decision making, planning, and budgeting at the College by the authority of the Oxnard College Shared Decision Making and Collegial Consultation document approved in 2006 by the Academic and Classified Senates, Associated Student Government, and Management. The Planning and Budgeting Council reports directly to the President.
The Planning and Budgeting Council makes recommendations to the President on all matters related to planning, budgeting, and shared decision making at the college. In making those recommendations, PBC receives recommendations and other information from all other constituency groups and participatory governance committees. Also part of the committee’s purview is the review of the effectiveness of the participatory governance process on campus.
On September 17, 208 the PBC met and approved a refined version of it roles. Please visit the Council's documents page.
Members come from both constituency groups’ representative bodies (i.e., the Academic Senate, Classified Senate, Associated Student Government) and from management. Members are to serve staggered two-year terms and can be re-elected. In addition, all members are to have a designated alternate attend in the event of their absence.
Members have the following responsibilities:
- Provide written reports to PBC of their constituency’s activities
- Report information from PBC back to their constituency
- Present the views of the constituency they were chosen to represent, not solely their own views
- Attend PBC meetings on a monthly basis (or more, when PBC deems it so necessary)
The PBC membership is as follows:
Vice President, Business Services
Academic Senate President
Two management representatives
Six Academic Senate representatives (appointed by the Academic Senate, at least one of whom represent the student services area and no more than one of whom comes from the same department)
Two classified staff representatives
One student representatives (appointed by Associated Student Government)
One AFT representative (appointed by AFT)
Vice President, Business Services
Academic Senate President
Ex Officio Members:
Executive Vice President, Student Learning (non-voting)
Dean of Educational Services and Research
- To oversee the coordination of planning and budgeting activities at the College that ensures an integrated planning process.
- To ensure the full implementation and effectiveness of the College’s overall planning and budgeting process.
- To optimize the funding, allocation, and utilization of all Oxnard College resources in a manner that promotes the fulfillment of its educational mission.
- To gather and disseminate accurate and current information regarding the Oxnard College budget.
- To promote informed and constructive dialogue for the effective development of education at Oxnard College.
- To ensure that participatory governance processes are effective means of decision making at Oxnard College.
In order to accomplish the above goals, the PBC:
- Shares information discussed at PBC with all constituencies and as appropriate the college community.
- Shares information at PBC related to activities of all constituencies.
- Advocates for District budget allocation model modifications that will benefit the College.
- Participates in the coordination, allocation, and re-allocation of the budget resources consistent with the College’s Mission, Strategic Master Plan, and the current state of the budget.
- Reviews recommendations from the Program Effectiveness and Planning Committee and makes recommendations to the President regarding planning and budgeting as well as program development, reduction, or elimination.
- Disseminates budget and financial information for all instructional resources of the College among its members and communicates similarly with other College constituencies.
- Monitors the College’s financial status.
- Periodically reviews the Shared Decision Making and Collegial Consultation at Oxnard College document.
- Reviews and responds to matters referred by the President.
- Reviews the College Mission and Goals, Strategic Plan, Educational and Facilities Master Plans.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the College’s overall planning process, examining each component separately and the entire process as an integrated whole, and makes modifications as deemed necessary for improvement.
- Reviews annual Governance Self-Appraisal Forms from each participatory governance committee and based on said review, makes recommendations to respective committees.
- Responds to recommendations of constituent groups and makes recommendations to the President.
- Makes recommendations to the President regarding faculty hiring prioritization.
- Posts approved Planning and Budgeting Council agendas and drafts to the Intranet and takes other appropriate means to inform the College community.
- Conducts an annual self-appraisal on achievements and processes.
- The President receives timely recommendations that are fully informed by the participatory governance processes.
- The financial integrity of the College is promoted, including the identification and securing of new funding sources.
- Optimization of the funding, allocation, and utilization of all Oxnard College resources in a manner that promotes fulfillment of its educational mission.
- The activities of PBC shall support the goals and activities of all other campus constituencies.
- Where appropriate, suggestions, recommendations and decisions are disseminated to all constituency groups.
- Strategic, educational and facilities master plans are reviewed and updated on a three-year cycle.
- College mission and goals are reviewed every three to five years.
- Shared Decision Making and Collegial Consultation at Oxnard College document is reviewed and updated on a 3-year cycle and revised as necessary.
- The College’s overall planning process will integrate planning, implementation, and evaluation, while linking planning with resource allocation in a meaningful manner that focuses on student learning and leads to institutional improvement.
The Planning and Budgeting Council meets the third Wednesday of each month during the fall and spring semesters, with additional meetings scheduled as needed. Members are expected to attend all meetings or send the designated alternate in their place. If a member misses three consecutive meetings, he/she will no longer be considered a voting member.