Do I need to take an assessment test?

Assessments are free of charge for Oxnard College students and are required for students who:

  • Are attending OC for the first time with the goal of completing a Certificate, Associates' Degree or Transfer Degree
  • Plan to take an English, Math or ESL course
  • Plan to take a General Education course requiring college-level skills
  • Would like to qualify for Priority (Early) Registration. Must also satisfy the following conditions:
    • View online orientation (or attend group counseling session when available)
    • See counselor for education plan (or attend group counseling session when available)

Do I need to take an Assessment Test?

The assessment test is one measure used by counselors to help determine initial course placement in English and Mathematics. Proper placement will help you achieve your goal in a timely manner.

Assessment - testing is not required if you can present any two (2) of the following measures to a counselor:

  • Transcripts (unofficial or sealed if official) from all high schools and colleges attended which show:
    • Grade Point Average (GPA)
    • Highest Math and English class taken and the final grade
  • Advanced Placement (AP), American College Testing (ACT), California Standards Test (CST), CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP), Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores
  • Placement tests from other colleges/universities
  • Assessment test results from Moorpark College, Oxnard College or Ventura College for Math and English that are less than 3 years old
  • Other certificates or proof of English and/or Math training

If you possess any 2 of the above measures, please present them to the Counseling Department to get credit for assessment and completion of this portion of the Student Success and Support Program.

Assessment testing is not required if you:

  • Have already earned a degree or certificate from an accredited college or university;   or,
  • Can demonstrate competency (by completing with a grade of "C" or better) in reading, writing or mathematics through previous assessments or college-level courses (bring unofficial transcripts for verification),