G.I. Bill®

Military Friendly**Attention current students using GI Bill® benefits:  We will be accepting GI Bill® certification paperwork starting on or after April 20, 2020, for the Summer 2020 semester and July 20, 2020, for the Fall 2020 semester. Paperwork from the Counseling Office is required for certification each semester.**

The Counseling Office phone number is 805-678-5816.  The Veteran's Center phone number is: 805-678-5845.

The Admissions and Records Office offers assistance and information to Veterans and eligible dependents regarding VA Educational Benefits. The Veterans Benefit Specialists/Certifying Officials are located in the Student Services Building in the Admissions and Records Office.

For information regarding eligibility, application for benefits, enrollment verifications, and frequently asked questions, please visit the Dept of Veteran's Affair website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill or call 1-888-442-4551.

The Veterans Benefit Specialists/Certifying Officials are available to see Veterans and eligible dependents using their educational benefits Monday & Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesday from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, Wednesday from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm and Friday - 8:00 am to Noon. If you have questions regarding your benefits, please contact either one of the certifying officials for assistance. We have two certifying officials that you can contact based on your last name.

Veterans Benefits/Certifying Officials Veteran's Last Name Phone Number
Tonia Arias A - N (805) 678-5844 or (805) 678-5810
Emily Pineda M - Z (805) 678-5259 or (805) 678-5810

Veterans and eligible dependents must complete the steps outlined below to start using their G.I. Bill®. Please download the VA Packet.

All new and returning students must complete assessment, orientation and an educational plan in order to be eligible for priority registration.

Step 1. Apply for Admission

  • Returning Students - You must re-apply for admission if you have not attended in over a year
  • Follow instructions to create an OpenCCC account and submit your application
  • Provide a valid email address & allow 24 hours to process your application and receive your new student email confirmation

Step 2. Apply for Financial Aid

Step 3. Set up your MyVCCCD account

  • You will receive an email from Oxnard College with instructions on how to setup your MyVCCCD portal. ***Please note the link expires in 20 days.
  • Regularly check your MyVCCCD email or activate mail forwarding option under MyACCOUNT settings in MyVCCCD
  • Write down your Student ID number for your records

Step 4. Apply for VA Education Benefits online at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

  • If you are eligible for another benefit program as well as the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), you should review the side-by-side comparison of benefits under each program.
  • If you have any questions regarding VA Benefits, contact VA at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
  • VA Office hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm (Central Time).

The GI Bill® Comparison Tool is live at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/comparison.

Below are links to more information:

Step 5. Submit official transcripts from prior institutions

  • Transcripts must be submitted in a sealed envelope by the end of the second semester of enrollment.
  • Submit military transcripts (JST, CCAF, and CGI).
  • Unofficial transcripts can be used for the initial counseling appointment.
  • To comply with VA regulations, official transcripts must be submitted within two semesters of beginning GI Bill® benefits.
  • Mail transcripts to:
    • Oxnard College
      Attn: Admissions and Records Office
      4000 South Rose Ave
      Oxnard, CA 93033

Step 6. Complete the English & Math Assessments

  • Counselors will assist students in placement in appropriate English and Math courses. Placement guidance is primarily by high school performance (grade point average and courses taken). 
  • Students who graduated more than 10 years ago, students who have foreign transcripts, students that do not have access to their high school transcripts and/or students who left high school without graduating will use an Informed Self-Placement tool to choose the course(s) most suitable for them.
  • The 1st-STEP Center can be reached at 805-678-5864.

Step 7. Complete New Student Orientation Online at MyVCCCD

  • Log on to MyVCCCD and click on the MySUCCESS tab to complete the online orientation

Step 8. Make an appointment with an Academic Counselor

  • Download VA Packet
  • Call the OC VET Center at 805-678-5845 to set up an appointment with an academic counselor. Please bring transcripts and/or DD214 or any other discharge documents.
  • You must meet with an Academic Counselor so that an Educational Plan can be prepared.
  • You must see the Academic Counselor every semester for course approval for VA payments.

Step 9.  Register & Pay online at: MyVCCCD

STEP 10. Submit all paperwork to the Veterans Certifying Official in the Admissions and Records Office

Office Hours:

  • Monday & Thursday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • Tuesday: 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
  • Wednesday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
  • Friday: 8:00 am - Noon
  • All documents must be submitted directly to the Veterans Certifying Official:
    • Certificate of eligibility letter (COE) and DD214 and/or any other discharge forms
    • Veteran's Ed Plan from an academic counselor.
    • Veteran's Packet


All new and returning students are required to complete Orientation, Assessment, and a Student Educational Plan unless they qualify for an exemption.

PRIORITY REGISTRATION will be granted only after all three components are completed. If you believe you qualify for an exemption from one or more of the Student Services and Support Program (3SP) components based on the criteria listed below, complete the exemption request form and obtain approval from the Counseling Office.

Submission of the exemption request form does not mean or guarantee approval of your exemption request. If your exemption is granted, you will lose your opportunity for priority registration that is granted to students who complete all the services.

  • Earned an Associate Degree or higher.
  • Enrolling solely to take a course that is legally mandated for employment or necessary in response to a significant change in industry or licensure standards. (Documentation must be attached.)
  • Enrolled at another college or university and taking classes to fulfill college/university requirements. (Documentation must be attached.)
  • I have already completed a degree applicable Math and English class. Applies to assessment only. (Documentation must be attached.)