Welcome to the Oxnard College Fire Technology/Academy – CPAT (OCFTA-CPAT) Web Site. Our mission for the Ventura County Fire Chiefs Association is to provide physically qualified firefighter candidates, utilizing the correct application of all components of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) and the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT). Our test site has been reviewed, accepted, and is monitored by the California Joint Apprenticeship Committee (C-JAC). C-JAC issues certificates of completion to all candidates that successfully complete our CPAT. 2019-2020 Application.
Additional information will be on the application.
CPAT Information - It is very important that you click on the link in the left navigation pane (FAQ) for instructions regarding registration with C-JAC prior to applying for the test.
The CPAT was developed by the Fire Service Joint Labor and Management Wellness and Fitness Initiative Task Force, which was composed of members from the IAFF, IAFC, ten Fire Departments and Locals (Unions) from across the United States and Canada.
The test is designed to identify individuals who have the physical abilities to perform the duties of a firefighter. It consists of eight separate job related tasks that are preformed in a continuous sequence. The candidate has 10 minutes and 20 seconds to complete all eight tasks. THIS IS A PASS / FAIL TEST.
Orientations, Pre-Tests, and Test Dates: 2019-2020
All tests are on Saturdays. Orientations and Pre-Tests are on Fridays and Saturdays.
|(0900 HRS TO APPROX. 1300 HRS)||(0900 HRS TO APPROX. 1300 HRS)||(0830 HRS TO APPROX. 1400 HRS)|
|January 19, 2019||January 25, 2019||January 26, 2019
|April 6, 2019||April 12, 2019||April 13, 2019|
|June 15, 2019||June 21, 2019||June 22, 2019|
|October 19, 2019||October 25, 2019||October 26, 2019|
|January 18 2020||January 24, 2020||January 25, 2020|
PLEASE NOTE: Orientations and Pre-Tests are held on the same day. Also, it is not recommended that you schedule a pre-test the day before the test. Candidates are not required to attend an orientation but it is recommended. Dates are subject to change. Contact the OCFTA CPAT office for current information.
How and When to Apply:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age and must show a photo identification (i.e. drivers license, a government, school, or military ID, or a passport, or visa).
- Candidates without a photo ID will not be allowed to take the CPAT.
- Applications are available at the OCFTA-CPAT office 104 Durley Ave. Camarillo, CA 93010.
- Apply Early. Applications are accepted in the order they are received. Applications are not accepted until the fee has been paid. So select your orientation and test date, fill out the application and submit along with your fee to reserve a slot.
- The fee to take your test at our site is $150.00 (one hundred-fifty dollars).
- Fee for practice sessions at our site is $25.00 per session.
- Your fee must be paid for your application to be accepted.
- There are no refunds but every effort will be made to schedule you into another test.
- Payment can be check, money order, cashiers check, etc. We cannot accept cash or credit cards.
- Make payments payable to: OC-CPAT.
- Your application and fee can be mailed to:
Fire Technology Department
104 Durley Avenue
Camarillo, CA 93010
Certificates of completion have been issued to each successful candidate by C-JAC.There is no established time for how long the certification is valid.Contact the Department(s) you are interested in to identify their certification requirements.Nationwide the cut off dates range from 120 days up to one year.
Orientation/Test preparation Guide:
An orientation/Test preparation Guide will be given to each candidate at the Orientation.If you do not attend the orientation the Guide is available at the OCRTC-CPAT office. Attending the Orientation and using the guide may improve your chances of being successful on the test.
The CPAT Office is located in the Oxnard College Fire Technology/Academy Office on the Camarillo Airport at: