- College Information
- Apply & Enroll
- Services for Students
- Online Services
- Admissions and Records
- AB540/Dream Act
- Class Schedules
- College Catalog
- Final Exam Schedule
- G. I. Bill
- High School Students
- International Students
- Online Application
- Out-of-State Students
- Registration Calendar
- Student Privacy Rights
- Transcript Requests
**Attention current students using GI Bill benefits for Summer 2014: We will be accepting GI Bill certification paperwork starting on or after Monday, May 12, 2014, for the Summer 2014 semester. Paperwork from the Counseling Office is required for certification each semester.
The Counseling Office phone number is 805-986-5816.
The Admissions and Records Office offers assistance and information to Veterans and eligible dependents regarding VA Educational Benefits. The Veterans Benefit Specialists/Certifying Officials are located in the Student Services and Administration Building in the Admissions and Records Office.
For information regarding eligibility, application for benefits, enrollment verifications, and frequently asked questions, please visit the Dept of Veteran’s Affair website at www.gibill.va.gov or call 1-888-442-4551.
The Veterans Benefit Specialists/Certifying Officials are available to see Veterans and eligible dependents using their educational benefits Monday & Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesday from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, Wednesday from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm and Friday - 8:00 am to Noon. If you have questions regarding your benefits, please contact either one of the certifying officials for assistance. We have two certifying officials that you can contact based on your last name.
|Veterans Benefits/Certifying Officials||Veteran's Last Name||Phone Number|
|Tonia Arias||A - M||(805)986-5844 or (805)986-5810|
|Kathy Downes||N - Z||(805)986-5800 ext 7653 or (805)986-5810|
Veterans and eligible dependents must complete the steps outlined below to start using their G.I. Bill. Please download the VA Packet.
Step 1 Complete our online application for admission at www.oxnardcollege.edu/apply.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page. Begin application to Oxnard College and submit.
- You will receive 2 emails. First, that your application was received. Secondly, a link to set up your MyVCCCD student account for registration.
- If you do not receive a second email within an hour of submitting your application, contact the Admissions Office for the status of your application at (805) 986-5810.
- Students will be prevented from registering for classes until their MyVCCCD account is set up.
Step 2 Apply for Financial Aid
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete the on-line BOG Fee Waiver (enrollment fees only)
- Cost of Attendance
- If you have questions or need assistance regarding Financial Aid, please call Kathy Cline at 1-805-986-5800 Ext 7668.
Step 3 Apply for VA Education Benefits online at www.gibill.va.gov
- If you are eligible for another benefit program as well as the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), you should review the side-by-side comparison of benefits under each program.
- If you have any questions regarding VA Benefits, contact VA at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
- VA Office hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm (Central Time).
The GI Bill® Comparison Tool is live at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/comparison.
Below are links to more information:
- VA Blog: http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/12495/va-offers-new-tools-to-ensure-post-911-gi-bill-beneficiaries-are-informed-consumers/
- VA Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/gibillEducation#!/VeteransBenefits/posts/10152181892448416?stream_ref=10
Step 4 Submit official transcripts from prior institutions
- Transcripts must be submitted in a sealed envelope.
- Submit military transcripts (SMART, AARTS, CCAF, and CGI).
- Unofficial transcripts can be used for the initial counseling appointment.
- To comply with VA regulations, official transcripts must be submitted within two semesters of beginning GI Bill benefits.
Step 5 Complete the assessment process
- No appointment is needed for assessments. All assessment sessions are walk-ins. The assessment evaluation will provide important information to counselors regarding your academic levels in the areas of English, Reading and Math.
- The Assessment Office can be reached at 805-986-5864.
- Assesments are free of charge for Oxnard College students, and are required for students who:
- Are attending OC for the first time with the goal of completing a Certificate of Achievement, Associate Degree or Transfer Degree, or
- Plan to take an English, Math, or ESL Course, or
- Plan to take a General Education course requiring college-level skills
- You do not need to take an assessment if you:
- Have already earned a degree or certificate from an accredited college or university, or
- Can demonstrate competency (by completing with a grade of "C" or better) in reading, writing, or mathematics through previous assessments or college-level courses (bring unofficial transcripts for verification), or
- Are only enrolling in special interest courses, or
- Assessed at Ventura College.
Step 6 Complete New Student Orientation
- After completing your assessment, make an appointment for an orientation at the Welcome Center (805-986-5907).
Step 7 Make an appointment with an Academic Counselor
- Download VA Packet
- Call Counseling at 805-986-5816 to set up an appointment with an academic counselor. Please bring transcripts and/or DD214 or any other discharge documents.
- You must meet with an Academic Counselor so that an Educational Plan can be prepared.
- You must see the Academic Counselor every semester for course approval for VA payments.
Step 8 Register for classes online at MyVCCCD
- The current schedule of classes is available online at www.oxnardcollege.edu/schedule.
- AA/AS General Education requirements can be viewed on-line through our college catalog.
- All registration fees must be paid at the time of registration.
- Registration will not be complete unless the fees are paid in full.
- Financial Aid is available. Please apply for a California Fee Waiver as soon as possible.
- Payment plans are available through MyVCCCD.
STEP 9 Submit all paperwork to the Veterans Certifying Official in the Admissions and Records
- Office Hours
Day of Week Hours Monday & Thursday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Tuesday................
8:00 am - 7:00 pm
10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am - Noon
- All documents must be submitted directly to the Veterans Certifying Official:
- Certificate of eligibility letter (COE) and DD214 and/or any other discharge forms
- Veteran’s Ed Plan from the VA Counselor
- Veteran's Packet