First-Time College Students
All first-time college students attending Oxnard College who meet the criteria below are required to complete both an English/ESL and a Mathematics assessment test prior to enrolling in a fall or spring semester. Specifically, you are required to complete these tests if you are:
- Enrolling in more than six (6) units during your first semester (fall or spring, regardless of your academic goals with the exception of activity courses such as PE); or
- Enrolling in your second semester at Oxnard College and have not completed the placement tests.
Exceptions to mandatory assessment:
- Are enrolling in only up to six (6) units during your first semester (fall or spring) AND are not enrolling in English/ESL, math, or chemistry classes. You will be required to complete both tests if you opt to enroll in more than six units or in the above courses; and before enrolling in the next regular semester.
- Are enrolling in only winter or summer classes (not in English/ESL, math, or chemistry classes).
Placement Tests You Must Complete
- COMPASS Reading Comprehension
- COMPASS Writing Skills
- COMPASS Pre Algebra
- COMPASS Algebra
- COMPASS College Algebra
What will happen if I do not complete the tests but am required to do so?
webpage based on Santa Monica College: http://www.smc.edu/EnrollmentDevelopment/AssessmentCenter/Pages/New-Students.aspx