Continuing Oxnard College Students/Students With Previous College Experience
If you are a continuing college student, you are required to complete both an English/ESL and Math assessment test if you:
- Are enrolling in an English, ESL, or math course for the first time; or
- Completed your first semester at Oxnard College and did not complete the mandatory assessment requirement, but now wish to enroll in a second regular semester (fall or spring) at Oxnard College--even if you are not planning to take English/ESL, math or chemistry.
Assessment & Placement Exemptions
Assessment waivers may be issued to you if you:
- Have completed applicable coursework with a "C" or better (must have transcript);
- Have received an Associate in Arts degree or higher from a U.S. accredited institution and have completed an English and Math class (if you are planning to transfer, we strongly suggest that you discuss your plans with a counselor. Please note that although you may be exempt from assessment, all students must successfully complete any required prerequisite courses for English, ESL or Math classes. Please consult with a counselor for further information).
English, ESL, & Math Prerequisite Waivers:
Prerequisite waivers may be granted to you if:
- You have completed a college-level English or ESL composition course with a grade C (2.0) or better;
- You have completed a college-level Math course with a grade C (2.0) or better
Placement Recommendations & Permits
Placement recommendations and permits to enroll in English, ESL, Math, Chemistry, Life Sciences may be issued to you if:
- You have completed applicable college-level courses with a grade C (2.0) or better and the courses are equivalent to those at Oxnard College courses that require or recommend assessment skill levels; or
College Board Advanced Placement test results may be used to determine your eligibility. You must bring your original AP test results to the Assessment Center, the Welcome Center, or to the Transfer/Counseling Department. Placement/prerequisite waivers will be issued under the following conditions:< >A score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AP English Language & Composition or Composition & Literature exam will qualify you for English 2 and give 3 units credit for English 1;
A score of 3 on the AP Calculus AB exam will qualify you for Math 7 and give 5 units credit for Math 2;
- A score of 3 on the AP Calculus BC exam will qualify you for Math 8 and give 5 units credit for Math 7;
- A score of 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus AB exam will qualify you for Math 8 and give 5 units credit for Math 7;
- A score of 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam will qualify you for Math 11 and give 5 units credit for Math 8.
If you will not be completing the assessment at Oxnard College because you meet any of the exemptions listed above, you must provide official proof (e.g., college transcript, AP report) that you meet the exemption criteria. Please hand-carry this information to a counselor to obtain a waiver.
Information used from: http://www.smc.edu/EnrollmentDevelopment/AssessmentCenter/Pages/Continuing-Students.aspx