What is Verification?
Verification is a process to confirm the information you provided on FAFSA or California Dream Act Application. This may be random or because application data was incomplete, estimated or inconsistent. The U.S. Department of Education selects some students for the verification process. Also, the financial aid office may need to verify data if there is conflicting information.
As part of the verification process, you will be asked to complete a verification worksheet and may have to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript, W-2s and 1099s. If you are a dependent student, you may be required to provide your parent(s) IRS Tax Return Transcript, W-2s and 1099s.
How do I know if I am selected for verification?
To view your aid status, as well as the forms required to complete verification at Oxnard College, login to your MyVCCCD portal
- Click on the "Financial Aid" tab.
- In the "Financial Aid Requirements" box, a list of required items will be available.
- Click on the links of all required items to access the forms (or instructions) to submit to the Financial Aid Office.
We may also send you letters and/or emails telling you to complete verification. Please open and read all correspondence from us, then respond within 14 days.
What information do I need to submit?
For the 2016-2017 academic year:
The financial aid office no longer accepts signed copies of federal tax returns (1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as required by federal regulations.
- You may use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2015 tax information to your FAFSA, OR
- Request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- If you were not able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or changed the data that was transferred, we will need an IRS Tax Return Transcript. We can no longer accept a copy of your tax return unless you filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return.
- Complete a Verification Worksheet that will direct you to give us the required documents.
NOTE: If you are applying for aid at other colleges, please make a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript for your records before you submit it to the financial aid office. We will not keep paper copies.
- If you are a dependent student, complete the specific 2016-2017 Dependent Verification Worksheet listed in your Financial Aid tab. Do not leave any section blank or incomplete. You and at least one parent must sign the worksheet before submitting it to our office. Also, submit relevant tax documents with your student ID at the top.
- If you are an independent student complete the specific 2016-2017 Independent Verification Worksheet listed in your Financial Aid tab. Do not leave any section blank or incomplete. You must sign the worksheet before submitting it to our office. Also, submit relevant tax documents with your student ID at the top.
The verification review process can range from 2 - 6 weeks. Submit copies of the requested documentation within 14 days of the request.
Failure to submit all requested documentation will result in the forfeiture of your financial aid eligibility.
How to Avoid Verification Processing Delays
We strongly recommend that you submit all documents within 14 days of receipt of the verification notice.
Submit all documents at the same time to:
Attn: Financial Aid Office
4000 South Rose Ave
Oxnard, CA 93030
- Remember to make photocopies for your records.
- Print your name and 9-digit Student ID number on each page of the documents that you submit.
We recommend you submit your documents in person to prevent processing delays.
After Verification is Complete
If the information reported on your application is verified, the financial aid office can determine your eligibility for financial aid. We will notify you to check your financial aid eligibility on your MyVCCCD portal.
If we find conflicting information between the data reported on your application and the information that you submitted to the financial aid office, we will correct and resubmit your information. You can monitor the status of your correction on your MyVCCCD portal. A "Pending Corrections" document will be posted and cleared once we receive an accurate application. We will notify you to check your financial aid eligibility on your MyVCCCD portal.
Expect Financial Aid Email
If you are eligible for federal student aid we will send an award notice to your my.vcccd.edu portal email. All document requirements must be completed before any financial aid can be disbursed to your account.