**Attention current students using GI Bill benefits for Spring 2017: We will be accepting GI Bill certification paperwork starting on or after Monday, December 5, 2016, for the Spring 2017 semester. Paperwork from the Counseling Office is required for certification each semester.**
The Counseling Office phone number is 805-678-5816. The Veteran's Center phone number is: 805-678-5845.
The Admissions and Records Office offers assistance and information to Veterans and eligible dependents regarding VA Educational Benefits. The Veterans Benefit Specialists/Certifying Officials are located in the Student Services Building in the Admissions and Records Office.
For information regarding eligibility, application for benefits, enrollment verifications, and frequently asked questions, please visit the Dept of Veteran's Affair website at www.gibill.va.gov or call 1-888-442-4551.
The Veterans Benefit Specialists/Certifying Officials are available to see Veterans and eligible dependents using their educational benefits Monday & Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesday from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, Wednesday from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm and Friday - 8:00 am to Noon. If you have questions regarding your benefits, please contact either one of the certifying officials for assistance. We have two certifying officials that you can contact based on your last name.
|Veterans Benefits/Certifying Officials||Veteran's Last Name||Phone Number|
|Tonia Arias||A - N||(805)678-5844 or (805)678-5810|
|Kathleen Downes||M - Z||(805)678-5108 or (805)678-5810|
Veterans and eligible dependents must complete the steps outlined below to start using their G.I. Bill. Please download the VA Packet.
All new and returning students must complete assessment, orientation and an educational plan in order to be eligible for priority registration. Assessment, orientation and an educational plan must be completed unless you meet one of the exemptions listed at the bottom of the page. If your exemption is granted, you will lose your opportunity for priority registration that is granted to students who complete all the services.
Step 1 Complete our online application for admission
- Access the online application using the OpenCCC website
- You will be prompted to first create an OpenCCC account.
- Important: After you create your account, you must click on continue to complete your application for admission.
- Applications will be available in our database within 24 business hours of submission
- You will be asked to enter an e-mail address. If you do not have your own e-mail account, you can create a free email account from any of the sources listed on the OpenCCC website.
Step 2 Setup your MyVCCCD Account
- Once your admission application is processed, you will receive an email from Oxnard College with instructions on how to setup your account.
- Students will be prevented from registering for classes until their MyVCCCD account is setup.
Step 3 Apply for Financial Aid
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete the on-line BOG Fee Waiver (enrollment fees only)
- Cost of Attendance
- If you have questions or need assistance regarding Financial Aid, please call Graciela Sanchez at 1-805-986-5800 Ext 7668.
Step 4 Apply for VA Education Benefits online at www.gibill.va.gov
- If you are eligible for another benefit program as well as the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), you should review the side-by-side comparison of benefits under each program.
- If you have any questions regarding VA Benefits, contact VA at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
- VA Office hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm (Central Time).
The GI Bill® Comparison Tool is live at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/comparison.
Below are links to more information:
- VA Blog: http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/12495/va-offers-new-tools-to-ensure-post-911-gi-bill-beneficiaries-are-informed-consumers/
- VA Tweet: https://twitter.com/DeptVetAffairs/status/430738930497888256
- VA Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/gibillEducation#!/VeteransBenefits/posts/10152181892448416?stream_ref=10
Step 5 Submit official transcripts from prior institutions
- Transcripts must be submitted in a sealed envelope by the end of the second semester of enrollment.
- Submit military transcripts (JST, CCAF, and CGI).
- Unofficial transcripts can be used for the initial counseling appointment.
- To comply with VA regulations, official transcripts must be submitted within two semesters of beginning GI Bill benefits.
- Mail transcripts to:
- Oxnard College
Attn: Admissions and Records Office
4000 South Rose Ave
Oxnard, CA 93033
- Oxnard College
Step 6 Complete the assessment process
- Assessment of your basic skills and aptitudes are important to your success, no matter what educational pathway you may choose. ASSESSMENT TESTS MUST BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. Your results will determine placement in Math and English courses. Use these links to access Math and English study guides and prepare for your assessment:
- No appointments are needed for assessments. All assessment sessions are walk-ins. The assessment evaluation will provide important information to counselors regarding your academic levels in the areas of English, Reading and Math.
|Assessment Testing Lab Hours|
|Monday: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm|
|Wednesday: 10:30 am - 7:00 pm|
|Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm|
- The Assessment Office can be reached at 805-678-5864.
Step 7 Complete a Student Orientation Either In-Person or Online. Note: Students who complete the online orientation will be required to complete a group counseling session.
- In-Person Orientation (STRONGLY ENCOURAGED): To make an appointment, contact the Welcome Center at 805-678-5907.
Online Orientation: Log on to your MyVCCCD account and click on the MySuccess tab to access the online orientation.
Step 8 Make an appointment with an Academic Counselor
- Download VA Packet
- Call Counseling at 805-678-5816 to set up an appointment with an academic counselor. Please bring transcripts and/or DD214 or any other discharge documents.
- You must meet with an Academic Counselor so that an Educational Plan can be prepared.
- You must see the Academic Counselor every semester for course approval for VA payments.
Step 9 Register for classes online at MyVCCCD
- The current schedule of classes is available online at www.oxnardcollege.edu/schedule.
- AA/AS General Education requirements can be viewed on-line through our college catalog.
- All registration fees must be paid at the time of registration.
- Registration will not be complete unless the fees are paid in full.
- Financial Aid is available. They can be contacted at 805-678-5828.
- Payment plans are available through MyVCCCD.
- How to videos:
STEP 10 Submit all paperwork to the Veterans Certifying Official in the Admissions and Records
- Office Hours
Day of Week Hours Monday & Thursday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Tuesday................
8:00 am - 7:00 pm
10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am - Noon
- All documents must be submitted directly to the Veterans Certifying Official:
- Certificate of eligibility letter (COE) and DD214 and/or any other discharge forms
- Veteran's Ed Plan from an academic counselor.
- Veteran's Packet
All new and returning students are required to complete Orientation, Assessment, and a Student Educational Plan unless they qualify for an exemption. Priority registration will be granted only after all three components are completed. If you believe you qualify for an exemption from one or more of the Student Services and Support Program (3SP) components based on the criteria listed below, complete the exemption request form and obtain approval from the Counseling Office. Submission of the exemption request form does not mean or guarantee approval of your exemption request. If your exemption is granted, you will lose your opportunity for priority registration that is granted to students who complete all the services.
- Earned an Associate Degree or higher.
- Enrolling solely to take a course that is legally mandated for employment or necessary in response to a significant change in industry or licensure standards. (Documentation must be attached.)
- Enrolled at another college or university and taking classes to fulfill college/university requirements. (Documentation must be attached.)
- I have already completed a degree applicable Math and English class. Applies to assessment only. (Documentation must be attached.)