This is a second course in algebra emphasizing applications of mathematics to scientific and logical problems. Students learn to analyze and interpret problems while developing inductive and deductive logic skills to apply to verbal and quantitative problems. The topics include operations with functions, variation, rational expressions and equations, compound and absolute value inequalities, systems of linear equations, an introduction to matrices and determinants, graphing linear and nonlinear functions, radical expressions and equations, complex numbers, solving equations of higher degree, exponential and logarithmic functions, conic sections, sequences and series, and the Binomial Theorem.
MATH R011 (Elementary Algebra)
MATH R014 is required for the following courses:
- CHEM R120 (General Chemistry I)
- MATH R101 (Mathematics for the Liberal Arts Major)
- MATH R102 (Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers)
- MATH R105 (Introductory Statistics)
- MATH R106 (Mathematics for Business Applications)
- MATH R115 (College Algebra)
- MATH R116 (College Trigonometry)
- MATH R118 (Precalculus Mathematics)
- PHSC R170 (Concepts in Physical Science)
- PSY R103 (Beginning Statistics for Behavioral Science)
MATH R014 fulfills the Math Competency requirement for all associate degrees at Oxnard College.