This course is a survey of the earth and the processes that shape it. The course offers an overview of plate tectonics, volcanism, earthquakes, mountain building, weathering, erosion, soil, origin of minerals and rocks, and water and energy resources. Physical geology is for those students who wish to complete a general education physical science course to transfer to a university. Field trips may be required.
This course can be taken with or as a prerequisite for GEOL R101L (Physical Geology Laboratory).
GEOL R101 can be used to fulfill major requirements for the following programs:
- A.A. in Coastal Environmental Studies
- A.S. in Coastal Environmental Studies
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern I, Natural Sciences emphasis
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern II, Natural Sciences or Mathematics emphasis
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern III, Natural Sciences or Mathematics emphasis
GEOL R101 partially fulfills General Education requirement A (Natural Sciences) for all associate degrees at Oxnard College (when not used to fulfill a major requirement).
IGETC and CSU GE-Breadth fulfillment:
- GEOL R101 partially fulfills the Area 5 (Physical and Biological Sciences) requirement for IGETC certification.
- GEOL R101 partially fulfills the Area B (Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning) requirement for CSU-GE Breadth certification.
See a counselor for more information on IGETC or CSU GE-Breadth certification.
Some transfer information:
Credit for GEOL R101 can be transferred to several universities; the chart below shows a few of the possibilities. For more complete transfer information, see a counselor at the Transfer Center or visit ASSIST online.
|University||GEOL R101 equivalent|