To enter the Firefighter I program, an application process is utilized to select the student participants. All applications go through a rigorous screening process which includes work history, education history, application requirements, references and prerequisites completion. On average, we receive 100 applications for 40 seats.
The following courses/requirements are prerequisites: completion required prior to application.
- EMT R169 - Emergency Medical Technician - Certified (National Registry or State/Local EMSAC Card) NO EXCEPTIONS - MUST BE A CERTIFIED EMT AT TIME OF APPLICATION.
- FT R151 - Fire Protection Organization - Successful completion (C or better) (Academic Policies) MUST BE COMPLETED AT TIME OF APPLICATION.
The following classes are listed as advisories in the Oxnard College Catalog:
- FT R152 - Fire Prevention Technology
- FT R154 - Fire Behavior and Combustion
- FT R156 - Fundamentals of Fire Protection
- FT R161 - Building Construction
The Academy will be geared to a level that builds on the skills and knowledge learned in these classes
- The fall academy is a Monday - Thursday class that begins on the first day of the semester at 0700 and ends at 1700. This is a 16 week class that graduates mid December
- The spring academy is a Monday-Thursday class that begins on the first day of the semester at 0700 and ends at 1700. This is a 15 week class that graduates in April
Admission to the fire academy is very competitive. It is open to all students. However, due to the large number of people who wish to enroll, a point systems, has been established. You will also be required to be a Nationally Registered EMT and obtain a physical exam/physician clearance. Your placement in the Academy will be determined upon review of your application, support documents and score. All support documents must be in your application package for you to be considered for the Academy. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The point system is as follows: Courses require successful completion - Grade "C" or better.
|Licsensed EMT-P||Work Exp Emer Resp||AA/AS/AAS non FTech||FT 161||FT 152||FT 154||FT 155||FT 153/158||AA/AS/AAS FTech||BA/BS||Recommendation Letter From the Ventura County Fire Chief, LACity Fire Chief, SB City Fire Chief, Oxnard City Fire Chief, Montecito Fire Chief. Ventura City Fire Chief. (see App)|
|1 point||1 pt per yr||3 points||1 pt||1 pt||1 pt||1 pt||1 pt||10 points||5 pts||5 pts|
|You may NOT count 10 points for 2 year degree AND points for course completion.|
Fall 2015 Application Dates: March 2- March 27, 2015 by 3pm.
NO APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE OPENING DATE FOR EACH SEMESTER.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. You must provide unofficial transcripts, your EMT certification, official form of ID (DL or Passport) and other required documents. If your transcripts do not state that a degree was conferred and the date it was conferred you will not receive points on your application.