- College Information
- Apply & Enroll
- Services for Students
- Online Services
- STEM Career Pathways
- Project & Activity Evaluations
- Annual Performance Report
- 2013 Summer Program Opportunities for Students (Summer Bridges)
- Summer Bridge Programs 2012
- Activities & Events
- Tutor Schedule
- OC-CSUCI Peer Mentor Outreach
- Supplemental Instruction
- Course Materials
- Student Resources
- Student Interest Form
- Solution Summit Document
- Strategic Partners
- Faculty Resources
- Contact Us
MICR R100 - Principles of Microbiology
This course is an introduction to the structure, metabolic activities, utility and pathogenicity of bacteria, fungi, algae, protozoa and viruses. The topics will include distribution, metabolism, molecular genetics, biotechnology, immunity, cancer, probiotics and the physical/chemical methods used in control of microbes and cellular pathogens. The principles of disease transmission, prevention and immunity will also be presented. The diversity of the microbial world and its applications to improving human health and quality of life are emphasized. Field trips may be required.
BIOL R120 (Principles of Biology I) or the combination of ANAT R101 (General Human Anatomy) and PHSO R100 (Human Physiology) is required for MICR R100.
MICR R100 is required for entry to the Dental Hygiene program.
This course can be taken with or as a prerequisite for MICR R100L (Principles of Microbiology Laboratory).
MICR R100 can be used to fulfill major requirements for the following programs:
- A.A. in Biology
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern I, Natural Sciences emphasis
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern II, Natural Sciences or Mathematics emphasis
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern III, Natural Sciences or Mathematics emphasis
MICR R100 partially fulfills General Education requirement A (Natural Sciences) for all associate degrees at Oxnard College (when not used to fulfill a major requirement).
IGETC and CSU GE-Breadth fulfillment:
- MICR R100 partially fulfills the Area 5 (Physical and Biological Sciences) requirement for IGETC certification.
- MICR R100 partially fulfills the Area B (Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning) requirement for CSU-GE Breadth certification.
See a counselor for more information on IGETC or CSU GE-Breadth certification.
Some transfer information:
Credit for MICR R100 can be transferred to several universities; the chart below shows a few of the possibilities. For more complete transfer information, see a counselor at the Transfer Center or visit ASSIST online.
|University||MICR R100 equivalent|