- College Information
- Apply & Enroll
- Services for Students
- Online Services
- STEM Career Pathways
- 2011/ 2012 Project Evaluations
- Annual Performance Report
- 2013 Summer Program Opportunities for Students (Summer Bridges)
- Summer Bridge Programs 2012
- Activities & Events
- Tutor Schedule
- OC-CSUCI Peer Mentor Outreach
- Supplemental Instruction
- Course Materials
- Student Resources
- Student Interest Form
- Strategic Partners
- Faculty Resources
- Contact Us
CHEM R120 - General Chemistry I
This course studies fundamental principles and theories of chemistry with special emphasis on calculations of solution chemistry, stoichiometry, chemical equilibrium and oxidation-reduction; includes discussion of quantum mechanical model of the atom, kinetic-molecular theory, and periodic table. Lab is designed to develop quantitative relationships through experiments, and to introduce inorganic preparative procedures and computer analysis of data. Field trips may be required.
- CHEM R110 (Elementary Chemistry)
- MATH R014 (Intermediate Algebra)
CHEM R120 is required for the following courses:
- BIOL R120 (Principles of Biology I)
- CHEM R122 (General Chemistry II)
- CHEM R130 (Organic Chemistry I)
CHEM R120 can be used to fulfill major requirements for the following programs:
- A.A. in Biology
- A.A. in Chemistry (required course)
- A.S. in Chemistry (required course)
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern I, Natural Sciences emphasis
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern II, Natural Sciences or Mathematics emphasis
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern III, Natural Sciences or Mathematics emphasis
- A.S. in Physics (required course)
CHEM R120 partially fulfills General Education requirement A (Natural Sciences) for all associate degrees at Oxnard College (when not used to fulfill a major requirement).
IGETC and CSU GE-Breadth fulfillment:
- CHEM R120 partially fulfills the Area 5 (Physical and Biological Sciences) requirement for IGETC certification.
- CHEM R120 partially fulfills the Area B (Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning) requirement for CSU-GE Breadth certification.
See a counselor for more information on IGETC or CSU GE-Breadth certification.
Some transfer information:
Credit for CHEM R120 can be transferred to several universities; the chart below shows a few of the possibilities. For more complete transfer information, see a counselor at the Transfer Center or visit ASSIST online.
|University||CHEM R120 equivalent|
|CSUCI||CHEM 110 or 121|
|UCSB||CHEM 1A & 1AL|
|CSUN||CHEM 101 & 101L|