- College Information
- Apply & Enroll
- Services for Students
- Online Services
- STEM Career Pathways
- 2011/ 2012 Project Evaluations
- Annual Performance Report
- 2013 Summer Program Opportunities for Students (Summer Bridges)
- Summer Bridge Programs 2012
- Activities & Events
- Tutor Schedule
- OC-CSUCI Peer Mentor Outreach
- Supplemental Instruction
- Course Materials
- Student Resources
- Student Interest Form
- Strategic Partners
- Faculty Resources
- Contact Us
BIOL R101 - General Biology
This is a survey course that presents the major principles and phenomena governing biological systems. Topics include biological chemistry, the cellular basis of life, metabolism, nutrition, reproduction, genetics, DNA modification, evolution and recombinant DNA technologies. This course is designed for non-biology majors. It will satisfy the requirements for certain dental hygiene, nursing and physical therapy programs. Field trips may be required.
BIOL R101 is required for ANAT R101 (General Human Anatomy).
This course can be taken with or as a prerequisite for BIOL R101L (General Biology Laboratory).
BIOL R101 can be used to fulfill major requirements for the following programs:
- A.A. in Coastal Environmental Studies (required course)
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern I, Natural Sciences emphasis
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern II, Natural Sciences or Mathematics emphasis
- A.A. in General Studies Pattern III, Natural Sciences or Mathematics emphasis
- A.A. in Physics, Physical Science option (required course)
BIOL R101 partially fulfills General Education requirement A (Natural Sciences) for all associate degrees at Oxnard College (when not used to fulfill a major requirement).
IGETC and CSU GE-Breadth fulfillment:
- BIOL R101 partially fulfills the Area 5 (Physical and Biological Sciences) requirement for IGETC certification.
- BIOL R101 partially fulfills the Area B (Scientific Inquiry and Quantitative Reasoning) requirement for CSU-GE Breadth certification.
See a counselor for more information on IGETC or CSU GE-Breadth certification.
Some transfer information:
Credit for BIOL R101 can be transferred to several universities; the chart below shows a few of the possibilities. For more complete transfer information, see a counselor at the Transfer Center or visit ASSIST online.
|University||BIOL R101 equivalent|
|CSUCI||BIOL 100 or BIOL 170|
Supplemental Course Materials, listed by instructor
Professor: Lorraine Buckley
Contact info: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chapter 1: Correlations vs. Experiments (PDF)
Chapter 1: Experimental Analysis 1 (PDF)
Chapter 1: Experimental Analysis 2 (PDF)
Chapter 1: Experimental Analysis 3 (PDF)
Chapter 1: The Scientific Method (PDF)
Cell Respiration vs. Photosynthesis (PDF)
Metabolic Pathways (PDF)
Mitosis vs. Meiosis (PDF)
Transport across Membranes (PDF)