The Committee is recommended by staff and approved by the President. The Committee is a subcommittee of the Curriculum Committee and is advisory to the Executive Vice President of Student Learning of Oxnard College.
Distance Education Handbook (approved by the Academic Senate on April 24, 2017)
The Distance Education Committee exists to meet the instructional, communication, computing and research needs of the students, and faculty of Oxnard College. The mission of the Committee is to focus on the delivery of distance education and its environment be it web-enhanced courses to fully online, and to take a proactive leadership role on educational, technological and professional development issues surrounding distance education.
The Distance Education Committee membership is as follows:
- Faculty Member (appointed by the DEC)
Suggested one required representative from each of the following areas:
- Instructional Technology
- Learning Center
Constituency and/or Division/Department Representatives including Instructional:
- One management representative (President)
- Two Academic Senate representatives
- One Curriculum Committee representative
- One faculty member from each division/department that is invested in teaching online courses
- Counseling/Matriculation/Transfer Center representative
- One classified staff representative
The Distance Education Committee is open to all constituents and/or division/departments of the College. The voting, however, is limited to the regular attending representatives listed above. Membership is for one year.
- To provide a collaborative venue for shared leadership determining the distance education needs of the College to sustain teaching and information management.
- To plan for the incorporation of various technologies in the teaching and learning activities at the College.
- To advise the College and individuals about technological matters pertaining to teaching and learning and information management specific for distance education courses.
- To help in establishing policies and procedures that can sustain and manage the existing distance education infrastructure and delivery.
- To author, revise, and oversee Oxnard's Distance Education Master Plan.
- To review, advise, and approve all distance education appendix forms for the Curriculum Committee.
- To advise the Curriculum Committee and other shared governance committees on all distance education issues.
In order to accomplish the above goals, the Distance Education Committee will:
- Serve as a voice and advocate for the application of appropriate technologies to the learning process of distance education at the College.
- Serve as a forum and share discussions on information about the College's distance education offerings, training programs, and infrastructures.
- A venue for the College community to discuss planning and resources related to issues involving distance education delivery, enhancement, and student success in the distance education environment.
- A completed Distance Education Plan.
- Appropriate policies and procedures regarding the acquisition, use, and maintenance of educational technology and information management systems in regard to distance education delivery.
- A source of information for faculty, staff and management about available and appropriate educational technologies and information management systems in regard to distance education.
- A source of information to the college campus for professional development training for faculty teaching distance education, and for programs and projects that support student development and success in distance education.
The Distance Education Committee meets the first Thursday of each month during the academic year. Additional meetings are to be scheduled as needed.